THE SECRET BEAUTY WEAPON
What is turmeric?
Though turmeric is found in many Southeast Asian dishes, naturopathic physician Dr. Trevor Gates says it’s actually a long-standing South Indian spice that’s been trusted for a multitude of uses. Not only is it a flavoring and coloring agent, but she says it’s also a medicinal and beautifying herb. In fact, she notes it has been scientifically proven as an anti-inflammatory that soothes redness and itchiness [source].
“Turmeric manages microorganism growth on the skin, helping ward off acne-causing acne bacteria, and it prevents other infections from spreading,” Dr. Gates explains [source]. “It also contains powerful antioxidant properties, balances sebum secretion, and helps clean out pores.”
Turmeric beauty benefits
- Turmeric is high in antioxidants that slow down cell damage [source].
- It’s widely used as a skin exfoliant and improves the texture of skin [source].
- It helps with inflammatory skin conditions, such as acne, dry skin, psoriasis, and eczema [source].
- It helps reduce pigmentation and even out the skin tone [source].
- It is also said to diminish wrinkles [source].